Sonia Rykiel names new artistic directorTuesday, 25 September 2012
Canadian-born Conceicao will present his first collection for the brand next year for autumn/winter 2013, and he has been tasked to design and carry out the creative relaunch of the women’s ready-to-wear and accessories collections.
Commenting on his appointment, Conceicao said: “I am very proud to be joining the Sonia Rykiel fashion house. For me, Sonia Rykiel has always represented the irreverent Parisian woman; modern, sensual and with a certain intelligence.”
Jean-Marc Loubier, chairman at Rykiel and president of Fung Brands, added: “I am very pleased to welcome Geraldo da Conceicao to Sonia Rykiel. He has the talent and experience to write a new chapter in the history of the fashion house.
“His arrival confirms the quality of Fung Brands’ commitment to Sonia Rykiel.”
The label has been undergoing a few changes in the past year as the result of new ownership. In February this year, Hong Kong-based Fung Brands Ltd acquired 80 percent of the company, leaving the founding family with just 20 percent.
Since then the company has been looking for a global push on the brand and has added a new commercial director Eric Rousseau from Jean Paul Gaultier and Sophie Templier from Chloé as merchandising manager.
In light of the changes, the label has decided not to show at Paris Fashion Week this season; instead the brand is opting to do press and buyer presentations at its Paris showroom.
Image: Sonia Rykiel autumn/winter 2012 campaign